This is the former Grammar
Llandudno (built in 1837 as a Welsh Chapel).
The school was run by Dr
Roberts and one of his pupils was William Morris Hughes born in London
September 1862 of Welsh parents. His father was a deacon of the Welsh
Baptist Church in London and worked as a carpenter at
The House of
Lords at Westminster.
Following the death of his
Hughes lived with his aunt at 16 Abbey Road, Llandudno from 1868 until
he returned to London and worked as a student teacher at St. Stephen's
before emigrating in 1884 to Australia where he became a prominent
organizer. He was elected to the New
South Wales Parliament in 1894 and was a strong supporter of
federalism. He was elected to the first National
parliament in 1901 as Labour MP for West Sydney.
Hughes was the longest-serving member of the
Australian Parliament, and one of the most colourful figures in
Australian political history. Over the course of his 51-year federal
parliamentary career, Hughes represented four different electorates and
was expelled from three different political parties. In 1915 Hughes
became the seventh Prime Minister of
Australia and in 1916 returned to England as a member of Lloyd
Cabinet. He found time for a quick
visit to his old home and school in Llandudno where he was given a
Civic Reception. Later, in 1921, he stayed
with his wife for
a few days at St George’s Hotel in Llandudno before going on to
unveil this statue of Lloyd George in the Castle Square, Caernarfon:
remained active in Australian Politics until his death on 28th October
1952. He was given a State Funeral in Australia.
was commemorated on an Australian postage
stamp in 1972.