Lancaster Square (with
a statue of Llewelyn the Great) at the junction of Rosemary Lane, Rose
Hill Street and the Bangor Road with the police station and to Thomas
Telford's new gate on the Bangor Road. Upper Gate Street leads to the
left of the Bangor Road to the Upper Gate.
Nearby is the Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints with the famous
are seven" in the churchyard.
Porth Uchaf, the original Upper
Gate is used by the road from
Dwygyfylchi via the Sychnant
Pass and from modern residential streets. It was originally the
only entrance to the town on the landward side and was protected by a
barbican as well as a ditch, a drawbridge, oak doors and portcullis -
all long removed.
The archway built into the wall in 1848 (thus preserving the wall
for the Chester and Holyhead Railway as it enters Conwy
Conwy Station looking west under Rosemary Lane towards
A short railway tunnel passes under the wall, which
is higher at this point.
The Mill Gate - this lane led originally to the town mill, which was sited on the River
It now leads under the railway via a tunnel to a long stay car
park in the Gyffin valley.
Neville Hortop, chief
guide at Conwy
Castle, brought the above length of town wall to my notice. In
this section of wall between the Mill gate and the tower on the left
are twelve projections that protrude beyond the parapet. This fine
line of very public privies high on a city wall is quite unique to
Conwy and they were built in 1286 at a cost of £15. They are
directly behind the medaeval administative headquarters with King
Edward's Treasury, the mayor's lodgings and the official record offices
- all of which were sacked and torched by Owain Glendwr.
The path from the Mill gate also
leads to the Conwy town railway goods yard
- of which only the
hand crane remains.
Beyond the Lower Bridge are the powerful southern towers of Conwy
The goods siding came across this
bridge over the road below the gate.
The modern gateway on the Llanwrst Road.
Then passing over the bridge the
goods siding made a trailing connection with the Holyhead to London
just before it enters Robert Stephenson's famous Tubular Bridge over
the River Conwy.
The Conwy Tubular Railway Bridge
The Conwy Estuary beyond the bridges with Deganwy on the far right
PART 3 - MORE CONWY PHOTOGRAPHS IN COURSE OF PREPARATION