Highland Railway - Rheilffordd Eryri
The first half - Caernarfon to Rhyd Ddu - Part 3
The Public Opening of the
Welsh Highland Railway extension from Waunfawr to Rhyd Ddu on August
Earlier, on July 30th
2003, HRH The Prince of Wales travelled from Waunfawr to Snowdon
Ranger on a replica of the first WHR train and from Snowdon Ranger to
Rhyd Ddu on the footplate of the engine 'Prince'.
Click on either of the above pictures
for more details
Views from the Welsh Highland Railway
All photographs by Noel
below taken travelling on the mid-day train from Rhyd Ddu on May 14th
from the train in the platform at Rhyd Ddu.
In the foreground is Llyn y Gader at the head of Afon Gwyrfal.
North of Rhyd Ddu the train decends the many curves to Snowdon Ranger
at 1 in 40.
Decending into the glacial valley of the Afon Gwyrfal with breathtaking
Near Glan y Afon the valley broadens to form the reservoir
Mynydd Mawr dominates the view westwards from Snowdon Ranger.
The Snowdonian lambs are still very small in mid-May
- seen against the backdrop of Castell Cidwm as the train
approaches Betws Garmon.
Garratt NG 143 - the last steam locomotive built in Manchester,
about to leave Waunfawr for Dinas and Caernarfon.
Photographs below taken
travelling on the afternoon train from Caernarfon on October 5th 2005.
The Afon Gwyrfai between Dinas and Waunfawr.
The Afon Gwyrfai approaching Betws Garmon
views from the train near Betws Garmon
Later Photographs 2007/08 below:
WHR Beyer-Garratt NG 138 with a six coach train and
Snowdon Ranger, rounding Ffridd Isaf curve.......
.....and proceeding thence to Rhyd Ddu
both photographs above © Elwyn Jones August 16th 2007
Snowdon (on the left) viewed from the south-west at Rhyd Ddu on August
.....and from the west at Snowdon Ranger on October 19th 2007 (summit
buildings in view)
The WHR's latest locomotive, Beyer Garratt K1 built in Manchester in
1909, now restored
and on its first day in passenger service, entering Snowdon Ranger
station on October 19th 2007.
This famous locomotive, K1, built for Tasmanian Railways to the
revolutionary design of
Herbert Garratt, especially for use on difficult mountain lines, was
the first Beyer-Garratt
built by Beyer, Peacock & Company at Gorton in Manchester and seen
here on a Caernarfon
bound train at Waunfawr on February 14th 2008. Over 1,000 such engines later, in 1958,
they built their last Beyer Garratt, NG 143 for use on 2ft narrow gauge
lines in South Africa.
And here it is, also in service on the Welsh Highland Railway, to which
it is ideally suited:
also at Waunfawr on a Caernarfon bound train on May 14th 2005.
Click here for
earlier photographs of the Welsh Highland Railway
photographs © Noel