from the upper end of Cwlach Road by the entrance to the
Haulfre Gardens, where the Trail marker board stands, are quite
outstanding with the whole of Llandudno
spread out ahead to the Little Orme and neighbouring hills. Close
by in Cwlach Street is the former Grammar
where William Hughes Prime Minister of Australia (1916-21) was
are the substantial remains of extensive terraced gardens on a steep
south facing site on the side of the Great Orme overlooking Llandudno.
gardens have fine panoramic views. They were first laid out in the
Henry Davis Pochin, a Victorian industrial chemist, the inventor of
a notable plants man, the founder of Bodnant
Gardens, and the father of the first Lady Aberconway.
The Haulfre Gardens
were opened as a public park in 1929 and are now maintained by Conwy
Council. They are listed by CADW
(Welsh Historic Monuments) and the infrastructure has recently been
through the welcome support of the Heritage
Lottery Fund.The Gardens are at the
end of Cwlach Road.
Haulfre Gardens Tea Rooms fly the Welsh Flag daily during the tourist
to indicate that they are open for business, and their refreshments are
Llandudno viewed from the Haulfre Gardens
of garden paths link into the well paved 'invalid walk' public footpath
Shore and to the steep Zig Zag path to the Summit of the Great Orme.
The start of the Zig Zag path to the summit of the Great Orme - it is a
walker descends from the Haulfre Gardens to the West Shore there are
panoramic views of Llandudno town, The Oval Sports Ground (home of
Cricket Club and Llandudno
Bowling Club), more distant is Deganwy Castle and
Further afield is Anglesey and Puffin Island.
The West Shore from the 'invalid walk' has it has traditionally been
The public footpath from the
Haulfre Gardens reaches the West Shore
the Marine Drive Exit just beyond the Pen Morfa
This location is also the start of the Monks' Path to St.