[Conwy] [Deganwy] [Llandrillo] [Nant Peris] [Pen-y-Pass] [Sychnant] [Conwy Valley] [North Wales] [Welsh Highland Railway]
Part 1 - The Walled
Town of King Edward I
Welcome to Caernarfon, The Royal Town
It was here, in 1969, that Prince
Charles was first hailed Prince of
One of the greatest 20th century wonders of the world is the
Throughout Europe, if not throughout Britain, the Internet Café
Here we offer you the bilingual Internet Café - Y Caffi
(pacé Dylan Thomas).
Central to the life of Caernarfon is
Castle Square below, dominated by
Caernarfon Castle on one side and with the three remaining sides
flanked mostly by Georgian buildings.
The large open square is the scene of a weekly market when it is
thronged with stalls and shoppers. Near the castle end of the
square is a bronze statue of Sir Hugh Owen, noted philanthropist
and tireless worker for the establishment of primary, secondary,
university education in Wales.
in the corner of the square
is this fine statue of David Lloyd George, MP for Caernarvonshire and
Prime Minister during the 1914-18 war. It was unveiled in 1921 by Billy
Hughes, Prime Minister of Australia and from 1915 a member of Lloyd
George's War Cabinet.
The Castle Hotel dominates one side of the square and is a popular
hotel for coach parties.
Church and Post Office occupy the eastern side.
On the north side properties dating from Victoian times.
The road follows the line of the castle walls passing The Palace Vaults
Hotel and more Georgian properties until it comes to the majestic
Caernarfonshire County Hall, which is the town and county court house.
Through the archway in the town wall leads to the waterfront and
another Georgian Hotel
- The Anglesey.
Crossing the river by the pedestrian swing bridge brings us to this
fine view of Caernarfon Castle.
and also a fine view of the Slate Wharf and its Customs House and the
rear of the Castle Hotel.
Returning across the bridge and up into the town we see that there are
many other interesting buildings.
and ancient gateways in the town walls:
While you are here in Caernarfon, may we suggest that, like Prince
you take a trip from Caernarfon to Rhyd Ddu on the Welsh Highkland
The world famous Welsh
Railway opened by HRH The Prince of Wales in 2003 operates
southwards from Caernarfon to Dinas, Waunfawr and Rhyd Ddu at the
southern foot of Snowdon. It offers an exceptionally fine journey
through outstanding mountain scenery as it approaches the foot of
Wales's highest mountain. The Station in Caernarfon stands
in Saint Helen's Road, the ancient Roman Road, hard against
wall below Segontium Terrace that takes its name from the Roman City
that once stood here. Unlike this train with a South African built
diesel engine, most trains are hauled by one of three locomotives from
the last batch of steam engines built in Manchester.
PART 2 OF THIS VISIT - SAIL ON
THE 'QUEEN OF THE SEA'
Photographs © 2004/5
Llandudno Queen of the North Wales Resorts